Marriage Preparation Process
Marriage Preparation Checklist
You will be guided through this process with a priest or deacon:
- Meet with the priest or deacon to fill out the Pre-nuptial Questionnaire.
- If the marriage is between a Catholic and a non-Catholic, work with the priest or deacon to complete a dispensation form.
- Catholics, not sooner than six months before the wedding, obtain a new baptism certificate from the parish where you were baptized.
- Non-Catholics, if possible, obtain a copy of your original baptismal certificate.
- Set up and attend the Natural Family Planning introductory session.
- Decide with the priest or deacon’s help if you will attend an Engaged Encounter weekend or will complete a Sponsor Couple Mentoring program.
- Register and complete either the Sponsor Couple or Engaged Encounter.
- No sooner than 90 days before the wedding, obtain your marriage license from the town. (Time frame may vary for weddings in a different state.)
- Set up a date with the priest or deacon to plan the wedding ceremony.